SCOA 2021 Japan Summer Camp Counselor Internship Program
Weekend Day Camp in Tokyo
Sunday, December 13
Saturday, December 12
For more info, email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletes and Cheer Dancers!
Now Accepting Applications for Japan Summer Camp Counselor Internship!
Application Deadline is March 14, 2021
- Open to U.S. college students and recent graduates who participated in a team sport, cheer or dance in high school or college and are native level English speakers.
- SCOA has relationships with many university athletic departments including the PAC 12 and University of California campuses
- Non-paid internship, but airfare, food & lodging covered along with lodging while sightseeing in Tokyo
- Counselors come to Japan for five weeks starting around mid-July and stay until the third week of August.
- Training in Japan prior to camp which includes cross-cultural training and techniques in using nonverbal communication.
- At least one counselor with a cheer and dance background is selected because cheer dance is a camp activity.
Why be a SCOA Camp Counselor?
- Over 200 athletes and cheer dancers have come to Japan through SCOA’s internship program over the last 15 years.
- All-inclusive internship includes airfare, food & lodging
- Immerse yourself in Japan ‘s culture, traditions and lifestyles
- Explore one of the world’s most exciting cities, Tokyo, for three nights with lodging covered
- Be a part of the SCOA family of athletes and form lifelong friendships
- Gain skills in a foreign environment such as leadership, effective communication and problem solving
- A unique work experience that will differentiate you on your resume
Who are SCOA Campers?
Most campers are Japanese elementary and junior high students, although we have campers from all over the world. Some campers are fluent or proficient in English, but most campers are beginners in English so nonverbal communication is important. The universal language of sport is ideal for this since it’s easy to communicate physically with your body.
SCOA – More than a Sports Camp!
SCOA brings the American summer camp experience to Japan. Although we do play sports such as football, soccer, cheer dance, softball, and basketball, we think of SCOA as more than just a sports camp. We want the campers to experience what campers at an American camp would experience – things like capture the flag, water balloon toss, potato sack race, talent shows, campfires and S’mores.
SCOA’s mission is to be a bridge between American and Japanese students so they can share their cultures, broaden their views, and appreciate their differences. SCOA accomplishes this by bringing American athletes and Japanese campers together in an American camp setting in Japan.
“SCOA Camp truly was a special, once in a lifetime experience.
There really is no other opportunity that allows you to travel to a foreign country with 15 strangers and share your love of sport, all while overcoming language barriers.
SCOA forces you to break out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there in ways that might not typically be in your character.“
University of Arizona – Volleyball