Now Accepting Applications for
2024 Japan Summer Camp Counselor Internship Program
Tentative dates: July 13 to August 20
Application Deadline: March 3
Open to U.S. college students and recent graduates who participated in a team sport, cheer or dance in high school or college and are native level English speakers.
For over 17 years, SCOA has been bringing American athletes and cheer dancers
to Japan for a truly unique cultural exchange with Japanese students
This is SCOA!
This is SCOA Junior High Program!
Athletes and Cheer Dancers!
- Open to U.S. college students and recent graduates who participated in a team sport, cheer or dance in high school or college and are native level English speakers.
- SCOA has relationships with many university athletic departments including the PAC 12 and University of California campuses
- Non-paid internship, but airfare, food & lodging covered along with lodging while sightseeing in Tokyo
- Counselors come to Japan for five weeks starting around mid-July and stay until the third week of August.
- Training in Japan prior to camp which includes cross-cultural training and techniques in using nonverbal communication.
- At least one counselor with a cheer and dance background is selected because cheer dance is a camp activity.
Why be a SCOA Camp Counselor?
- Over 200 athletes and cheer dancers have come to Japan through SCOA’s internship program over the last 17 years.
- All-inclusive internship includes airfare, food & lodging.
- Immerse yourself in Japan ‘s culture, traditions and lifestyles
- Explore one of the world’s most exciting cities, Tokyo, for three nights with lodging covered
- Be a part of the SCOA family of athletes and form lifelong friendships
- Gain skills in a foreign environment such as leadership, effective communication and problem solving
- A unique work experience that will differentiate you on your resume
2023 Senior Camp Counselors
The 2023 senior camp counselors’ sports backgrounds included track, swimming, volleyball, rowing, water polo, cheerleading and diving. They attended:
UCLA / USC / Utah / Colorado / Oregon State / Washington / UCSB / UC Davis / Hawaii / Central Florida
Who are SCOA Campers?
Most of the Japanese elementary and junior high campers are beginners in English, so nonverbal communication is important. The universal language of sports is ideal for communicating and making friends!
SCOA – more than a Sports Camp!
SCOA brings the American summer camp experience to Japan. Sports include football, soccer, cheer dance, ultimate frisbee and basketball, but campers also experience activities such as capture the flag, water balloon toss, potato sack race, talent shows, skits, friendship bracelets, campfires, S’mores and more!
SCOA’s mission is to be a bridge between Japanese and American students so they can share their cultures, broaden their views and appreciate their differences. SCOA accomplishes this by bringing American athletes and Japanese campers together in an American camp setting in Japan.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org